Selection Criteria for Group Races
Effective July 1st, 2012
1. Group 1 status shall apply to those events which carry a minimum prizemoney of $75,000 cash to the winner and have been conducted for at least 6 years or are ‘protected status’ or ‘special status’ Group 1 events. Winner’s prizemoney must be between 65% and 74% of the total prizemoney paid to the first three placegetters.
2. Group 2 status shall apply to those events which carry prizemoney of between $40,000 and $74,999 cash to the winner and have been conducted for at least 6 years or are ‘special status’ Group 2 events. Winner’s prizemoney must be between 65% and 74% of the total prizemoney paid to the first three placegetters.
3. Group 3 status shall apply to those events which carry prizemoney of between $25,000 and $39,999 cash to the winner and have been conducted for a minimum of three years or are ‘special status’ Group 3 events. Winner’s prizemoney must be between 65% and 74% of the total prizemoney paid to the first three placegetters.
Listed. Listed status shall apply to those events which carry between $15,000 and $24,999 cash to the winner and have been conducted for a minimum of three years. Winner’s prizemoney must be between 65% and 74% of the total prizemoney paid to the first three placegetters.
1. All registered greyhounds clubs in Australia are eligible to apply to the Group Race Co-Ordinator of the AGRA to have their respective feature events classified according to this criteria and must do so annually on the special Group Race application form. All Group Race applications will be subject to consideration by the AGRA Group Race Committee. The Group Race Committee will comprise the Chief Executive Officers of all AGRA Member Organisations as applies at any time. Once the Group Race Calendar has been approved by the Group Racing Committee and ratified at an AGRA General Meeting the following conditions apply to any organisation proposing a date change:
(a) That any changes to Group dates proposed by a club subsequent to the calendar approval by AGRA, be requested via the AGRA Group Race Committee.
(b) The decision of the AGRA Group Race Committee is to be upheld by the applying club.
(c) Where a club disregards the decision of the AGRA Group Race Committee or changes a Group race dates without advising the AGRA Group Race Committee, then the future Group status of the said event maybe reviewed.
2. Where a ‘new’ event satisfies the prizemoney criteria for Group 1 or Group 2 and has been conducted for a minimum of three consecutive years, such event shall receive Group status one lower in ranking, i.e. Group 2 or Group 3, whichever is applicable. If the new event is conducted for a further three years, it will be elevated to the Group status that its prizemoney warranted, provided that the said prizemoney was paid throughout the aforementioned ‘further three years’.
(For example a new event which carries prizemoney of $40,000 to the winner will not receive its initial ranking until Year 4 and in that connection, in Year 4 it will carry Group 3 status irrespective of whether the prizemoney paid to the winner continued to be $40,000 or was, say, elevated to $75,000. Following a further consecutive three years of a minimum prizemoney standard equal to the Group levels above, the event will receive its appropriate ranking in Year 7, noting of course that the race must carry the respective minimum prizemoney for at least the three years immediately prior to Year 7).
3. Where a new event satisfies the prizemoney criteria for Group 3, it must be conducted for three years, satisfying the prizemoney criteria in each of the three years, before it is able to be considered for Group 3 ranking. Any new event which receives Group 3 ranking in Year 4 of conduct must be conducted for a further two years (ie six years in total) before it is able to be considered for an elevation in Group status irrespective of prizemoney paid.
4. Should any event drop in status for whatever reason, that event shall not be elevated to its former Group or Listed status until it has been conducted for a minimum period of three years and carried appropriate prizemoney for the new ranking.
5. The Group Race Committee is entitled to use its discretion, by invitation, to enable a Group 2 event to be ranked Group 1 irrespective of the minimum prizemoney requirement, or maintain such event as a Group 1 event in circumstances where the event has been conducted for a period in excess of 25 years. Where the Group Race is ranked Group 1 under this clause, it will be referred to as a ‘protected’ Group 1 event. Any event granted ‘protected status’ will have such status reviewed annually by the Group Race Committee.
6. The Group Race Committee is empowered to issue a ‘caution’ to any club conducting a Group Race advising that consideration may be given to downgrading a race should the event not meet the required standard of its classification.
i Should the event attract nominations of mediocre standard;
ii Should the event lack nomination numbers;
iii The hosting club be struggling to sustain prizemoney levels.
(The caution clause would be applied with a majority vote of the Group Racing Committee determining that the clubs be so advised and they be given two years until further review. The Committee will then decide whether there has been improvement in the event over the past three years and conducts a vote to determine whether the event should be downgraded, de-listed in the case of Group 3 or retain its status).
7. Any event, including existing events, which in the opinion of the Group Race Committee, has its conditions of entry significantly amended and which is therefore considered to be a ‘new’ event, will be classified as such and be subject to the criteria for new events.
8. Where an event (a) is restricted to greyhounds bred and/or owned and/or trained in a particular State or Territory or (b) is restricted to greyhounds sold through a particular sale or auction or (c) requires the payment of a nomination, commission or entry fee higher than $100 or (d) requires a nomination fee to be paid prior to eligible greyhounds becoming 12 months of age; such event shall not, any circumstances, receive Group status higher than Group 2.
9. No event for Maiden greyhounds shall be classified higher than Group 3, irrespective of the prizemoney paid to the winner.
10. The Group Race Committee may consider applications for events to receive Group ranking outside the primary and general criteria set down, provided the Group Race Committee is satisfied with the reasons detailed in the special application. Where the Group Race Committee agrees to provide a ranking outside of primary and general criteria, the event will be considered to have received ‘special status’. All ‘special status’ rankings will be reviewed by the Group Race Committee annually.
11. The Australian Greyhound Racing Association will ratify all Group and Listed Race applications and decisions of the Group Race Committee at its Annual or Bi-Annual General Meetings.
Levies for Group Races
Levies apply to all Group Races which are approved by the Group Race Committee and included in the Group Race Calendar. Invoices are forwarded to each club by the AGRA Treasurer. The levies payable are as follows: Group 1 $400 plus GST. Group 2 $255 plus GST. Group 3 $125 plus GST. Listed $50 plus GST.
Age Restricted Events
As part of its promotion of Group Racing, in 2010/2011, the AGRA classified a series of Age Restricted Events as Age Restricted Classics.
To be eligible for categorization as an Age Restricted Classic, the said race must meet the following requirements:
• The event must be ranked as a Group 1, Group 2 or Group 3 event.
• The event, whether open to male greyhounds only, female greyhounds only or both, is to be restricted to greyhounds that were no older than 30 months of age on the first day of the month in which the heats of the event are scheduled to be staged when dates are initially approved by AGRA.
• Greyhounds that have not won a maiden race will be ineligible to contest any event approved as an Age Restricted Classic within the AGRA Group Racing Calendar.